Garmin is pleased to announce the G5 electronic flight instrument has completed certification for installation as a replacement directional gyro (DG) or horizontal situation indicator (HSI) in type-certificated fixed-wing general aviation aircraft. When paired with select VHF Nav/Comms or GPS navigators, the G5 can be considered primary for displaying magnetic heading, VOR/LOC guidance and/or GPS course guidance as well as distance and groundspeed. The installation of dual G5 electronic flight instruments can also eliminate the dependency on a failure-prone vacuum system in aircraft for attitude and heading information. Installation approval has been accomplished via an update to the G5 supplemental type certificate (STC) with a comprehensive approved model list (AML) containing more than 600 individual aircraft models.
Comprising of a bright, 3.5-inch sunlight readable liquid crystal display (LCD), the G5 electronic flight instrument is approved for installation in place of the aircraft’s existing DG/HSI via a Garmin-held STC for hundreds of certificated fixed-wing aircraft models. Utilizing the new cost-effective magnetometer, the G5 electronic flight instrument displays magnetic heading. A dedicated rotary knob allows pilots to easily select and adjust course and make heading bug selections. Suitable for installation in place of a standard 3-1/8-inch (79 millimeters) flight instrument, the G5 measures 3-inches (76 millimeters) in depth with the back-up battery so it can easily be integrated into a wide range of aircraft. The G5 electronic flight instrument is also approved for flight under VFR and IFR conditions, offering an economical upgrade for thousands of aircraft owners.
G5 for Certificated Aircraft, DG/HSI Kit
Physical & Performance
- Electrical: 14 or 28 VDC aircraft power
- Unit size: 3.4"W x 3.6"H x 3.0"D (86.4 x 91.4 x 76.2 mm)
- Weight: 13.3 oz (377.0 g), unit
- Display size: 3.5" diagonal (88.9 mm diagonal)
- Display resolution: 320 x 240 pixels (QVGA), LED backlit color LCD
- Receiver: High-sensitivity GPS
- Maximum indicated airspeed: 300 kts
- Altitude range: -1,400 – +30,000 feet
- Vertical speed range: ± 20,000 feet/minute
- Pitch/roll range: ±360°
- Backup battery: Rechargeable lithium-ion
- Battery life: Up to 4 hours