Providing an easy-to-use and completely portable aviation datalink, the compact GDL 50 ADS-B receiver lets you access the subscription-free ADS-B weather and traffic services (available only in the U.S.A) — all while providing GPS position, speed and altitude information as well as backup attitude reference. Better still, you can use our Connext® wireless connectivity to stream this information onto multiple Garmin aviation portables (including aera® 660, aera 796 or aera 795 series) as well as iPad® tablets and mobile devices with the Garmin Pilot™ app.
Spot Potential Traffic Threats
To aid in situational awareness, GDL 50 can also receive ADS-B position reports directly from other aircraft in your vicinity. In the U.S., 2 frequencies (978 UAT and 1090 ES) are approved by the FAA for ADS-B broadcasts, so the GDL 50 series offers access to both frequencies. This allows you to see the most comprehensive view of all ADS-B “Out” equipped targets in your vicinity. Your compatible display³ will alert you by announcing traffic targets both audibly and visually. Spoken audio alerts announce “Traffic, Traffic” to get you looking right away.
View Enhanced Traffic Features
To further extend your display’s traffic monitoring capability (on compatible displays), the GDL 50 receiver also allows access to our TargetTrend relative motion tracking technology. This feature gives you a faster, more intuitive way to judge the direction and closure rate of intruding targets relative to your aircraft’s position. So, rather than a fixed “snapshot” of the traffic situation, TargetTrend provides a more dynamic “velocity-based” display that shows which aircraft trajectories are most likely to converge with your own. For example, if traffic is ahead of you and traveling along the same track but at a slower rate, the motion vector would point opposite of its indicated direction of flight to show you are overtaking the traffic. The result — you’re able to make faster, better target avoidance decisions.
Built-in GPS and Attitude Sensors for SVX™ Display
In addition to its weather and traffic capabilities, your GDL 50 feature set includes a built-in WAAS GPS receiver. This enables GDL 50 to deliver highly accurate aircraft position, speed and altitude information to your compatible mobile device app. Also, built-in attitude sensors enable select Garmin aviation portables and apps with our SVX synthetic vision technology to serve as a backup attitude reference4 during your flights. With virtual terrain, obstacles, runways, horizon cues, HSI, GPS speed, altitude and more, this brings a whole new perspective to your portable navigation.
Battery Power for Hours
GDL 50 is a true go-anywhere device. A rechargeable built-in lithium-ion battery allows GDL 50 to operate for up to 8 hours on a single charge. And for operation connected to power, you can plug it into your aircraft’s 12 V power outlet with the included adapter cable, or use the microUSB port positioned on the side of the receiver.
Link up with the Benefits of ADS-B
For pilots who want subscription-free U.S. datalink weather and traffic, the compact GDL 50 portable ADS-B receiver offers a versatile solution with an array of additional capabilities. (USA only)
And by going with Garmin, your receiver will be backed by a comprehensive 1-year warranty — and by the industry’s No. 1-ranked product support team.
- GDL 50 is a non-certified receive-only product. It does not provide ADS-B “Out” capability to satisfy CASA mandate requirements.
- Not all ADS-B weather products may be available across all devices, or in areas outside the USA. Check your Pilot’s Guide for specifics about which products are available on your device.
- View our growing list of compatible devices
- Audible traffic alerting, TargetTrend and TerminalTraffic require compatible displays. Check your Pilot’s Guide for specific capabilities available on your display.
- The attitude information provided by GDL 50 is not intended to be a source of attitude information for flight in instrument meteorological conditions.
P/N: 010-01561-01 (AU/EU (CE) tick approved)
GDL® 50 ADSB receiver
- Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 4.9" x 1.3" x 3.4" (12.44 x 3.30 x 8.64 cm)
- Weight: 0.75 lbs (0.34 kg)
- Anti-slip mat (bottom of unit only)
- Operating temperature: -20°C to +60°C (-4°F to 140°F)
- Operating altitude: To 55,000 ft
- Nominal operating velocity range: 0 – 800 kts (411 m/s)
- Power input: 10 to 32 VDC, 3.5 W max.
- Battery type: Lithium-ion rechargeable (built-in)
- Charge temperature: Unit may not charge at extreme temperatures below 0° C (32° F) or above 32° C (90° F)
- Typical battery operating time: 8 hours
- 18-pin power and data connector
- ADS-B MCX antenna port
- GPS MCX antenna port
- Wireless Connext™ (Bluetooth®)
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc.